Which type of orthodontic treatment should you choose to help you fix your teeth and get the beautiful smile that you have always wanted?
We are seeing more and more adults that are choosing to fix their smile with orthodontic treatment. In fact, according to the AAO (American Association of Orthodontics) there are more adults in orthodontic treatment today than ever before (about 1.5 million in America alone). There are several reasons for the increase in adults having orthodontic treatment including advances in technology, which has created new treatment options that are faster, more comfortable and less noticeable than ever before.
Clear aligner technology has had a major impact in the adult orthodontic marketplace as companies such as Invisalign have created alternate methods of fixing your smile without the use of traditional fixed braces. Invisalign is now one of the most popular forms of orthodontic treatment and has pioneered clear aligner technology and 3-D scanning technology, which are both responsible for many of the advancements in orthodontics. This is a huge factor in getting adults to commit to orthodontic treatment as according to the AAO one of the largest reasons that adults considering orthodontic treatment were hesitant to fix their teeth had to do with being self-conscious about the way they would look with braces.
With so many treatment options for adults to choose from to fix their teeth we now have a question that is asked everyday in every orthodontic office across the world, “Braces or Invisalign. Which one should I choose?” Here is a short list of reasons to choose either braces or Invisalign to help you decide for yourself:
Pro’s for braces:
- Less work day to day for the patient. Braces are fixed on your teeth so once the orthodontist places them on your teeth you are not having to worry about wearing the braces and getting your desired result. Invisalign on the other hand needs to be taken off to eat and brush which means that you can forget to put them back on your teeth. The #1 problem that patients have with Invisalign is compliance. Adults often forget to wear the aligners, which will delay treatment and results.
- Braces tend to be less expensive than Invisalign. This can definitely change from office to office as prices are not fixed but overall this seems to be true as Invisalign is on average $500 more expensive.
- Braces can correct more issues than Invisalign. This is 100% correct in that braces have been proven to be superior to braces in many complex orthodontic cases. There are several bite issues that cannot be made by Invisalign or would be extremely difficult to fix using Invisalign.
Pro’s for Invisalign:
- Less noticeable than braces: In my opinion this is the #1 reason to choose Invisalign. The Invisalign plastic is very hard to notice unless you are extremely close to the patient’s mouth.
- Invisalign will not affect what you eat or how you brush your teeth.
- No emergencies: Braces can separate from teeth or the wires can break which causes additional appointments to fix broken appliances. Invisalign has little to no emergencies but remember that you can lose your aligners, which can also create additional appointments and slow down treatment.
Regardless if you choose braces or Invisalign to fix your smile you should feel confident that you are making a wise investment in yourself by seeking orthodontic treatment. The AAO reported that 75% of all adult patients reported that after finishing treatment they had improvements in their career and/or their personal relationships. 92% of adults also said that they would recommend orthodontic treatment to others.